Family Work Permit

How to Bring Your Loved Ones with You on a Canadian Work Permit

The joy and security of having your family close cannot be overstated, especially when you’re venturing into new territories for professional growth. Canada, known for its quality of life and opportunities, offers a dynamic work environment that attracts talent from around the globe. If you are contemplating moving to Canada for work, or have already secured a work permit, you may have questions about how to bring your family along. What makes Canada an attractive destination for many is the policy of family reunification. In this blog, we will break down how you can bring your family on a work permit to Canada.

Family (1)

Understanding the Canadian Work Permit

A Canadian work permit, sometimes referred to as a work visa, is an official document issued by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that grants foreign nationals permission to work in Canada for a specified duration. It ensures that both the employer and the employee are in compliance with Canadian immigration and labor regulations.


Types of Work Permits


There are two categories of work permits:


Open Work Permits


These permits allow foreign nationals to work for any Canadian employer, excluding those who are listed as ineligible due to non-compliance or other reasons. A common example of this is the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) for international students.


Employer-specific Work Permits


As the name suggests, these are tied to a particular employer. Before a foreign worker applies for this permit, the employer might need to obtain a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada, demonstrating a genuine need for a foreign worker.

Family Work Permit

How to Bring Family on Work Permit

One of the notable aspects of the Canadian work permit system is its importance of family unity. Depending on the type and category of the work permit, provisions are often made to allow primary holders to bring their family members, including spouses or common-law partners and dependent children, to live with them in Canada. There are typically three ways you can bring your family while on a work permit, they can apply for a Work Permit or a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).

Work Permit for Spouse

For skilled workers in Canada classified under the National Occupational Classification (NOC) categories 0, A, or B, their spouses or common-law partners can benefit from an open work permit. This type of permit offers the flexibility to work for any employer in Canada. Such a provision is especially beneficial as it provides the spouse or common-law partner the opportunity to financially contribute to the family during their stay in the country.

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

In Canada, the Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is designed for short stays, usually up to six months. Upon arrival, border officials mark this duration in passports. If families aim for extended visits, they must apply for visa extensions well in advance, but frequent extensions may raise concerns with immigration officials. Parents or grandparents of Canadian citizens have the option of the Parent and Grandparent Super Visa, allowing up to two-year stays. During prolonged visits, it’s essential to have health insurance and be aware that working or studying requires specific permits. It’s also vital to stay updated on immigration rules and to be prepared for inquiries upon re-entry. 

Study Permits

Family members including spouses and dependent children intending to pursue their education must obtain a study permit. However, there’s an exception based on age, and children attending pre-school, primary, or the initial years of secondary school usually don’t require a study permit, although the specific age threshold can vary by province. However, this might be an ideal option for spouses of work permit holders who are pursuing their education. With Study Permits a student typically is able to work while on their student permit with certain restrictions.

Family (3)

Canada’s commitment to a welcoming environment for international professionals extends beyond just the workers. The nation’s immigration policies underscore the value of family unity and support. From open work permits that offer flexibility to spouses and common-law partners of skilled workers, to the Temporary Resident Visa and the unique Parent and Grandparent Super Visa, Canada provides multiple avenues for families to reunite. For those looking to further their education, study permits cater to both spouses and dependent children, sometimes even allowing the student to work under specific conditions. Navigating the diverse options might seem daunting, that is why at Canada By Choice we strive to support our clients on their journey. With over a decade of experience, we manage an array of cases, ensuring a smooth and well-informed transition for every individual seeking to make Canada their new home.

Family (4)
The information in this blog is not to be interpreted or construed as legal advice. Everyone’s immigration goals, objectives and situations are different. Please contact us to speak to a consultant for advice.

About Us

Canada By Choice is a Canadian Immigration Firm based in Windsor, Ontario. Founded in 2007, Canada By Choice Immigration is widely considered as one of the most respected immigration firms in our region. We have earned our reputation as a world class firm by providing dedication and personalized service to each and every unique case before us.


Verify our Membership number here. Membership number: R530015

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on telegram
Share on email

Stay Connected

More Updates

Canada Immigration

The Four Pillars of Canadian Immigration

Canada, renowned for its diversity and inclusivity, continually welcomes individuals from across the globe. Its robust immigration system, designed to cater to various needs and aspirations, plays a pivotal role in shaping the nation.

Visitor Visa Canada

Everything you Need to Know About Canadian Visitor Visa

A visitor visa, commonly known as a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), stands as the official entry for travelers seeking to enter Canada. This crucial document grants foreign nationals permission to journey across Canada’s borders.

How to Immigrate from Australia to Canada

Bridging Continents: The Australian Roadmap to Canadian Immigration

This guide aims to provide different options for every Australian who is eyeing the Canadian horizon. Whether you’re lured by opportunities in Toronto’s bustling streets, the promise of adventure in the Rockies, or the allure of French heritage in Québec, this roadmap will guide you through the intricacies of the Canadian immigration system.

321 Tecumseh Rd. E Windsor, Ontario, Canada N8X 2R5

(©) 2021 Canada By Choice . All rights reserved.