July 21, 2017

Canadian Experience Class


Express Entry

Express Entry, an electronic management application involving the Federal and Provincial Governments including Canadian employers, is a system designed for immigration to Canada. Express Entry is not an immigration program or a type of visa, rather it is a system used to help with the selection and process of Canada’s immigration programs. These programs include Federal Skilled Worker Class, Federal Skilled Trades Class, and Canadian Experience Class.

Click here to take our free online assessment, see if you qualify for Express Entry!

Canadian Experience Class

The Canadian Experience Class are for applicants who already have Canadian Work Experience and are looking to become a permanent resident. To qualify under Canadian Experience Class through Express Entry, you must have at least 1 year of Canadian work experience.

Canadian Experience Class – Eligibility

To qualify for CEC you must have:

  • In the last three years, you must have completed (before you apply) 12 months of skilled professional or technical work experience:
    • Full-time
    • Equal amount in part-time
  • Your Canadian experience was gained by proper authorization
  • Achieve a  Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) of at least 5, ideally you will want to aim for a CLB 7, improving your chances at being selected from the Express Entry pool.
  • Self-employment and work experience gained while you were a full-time student (such as on a co-op work term) does not count.

Skilled Work Experience

In order to qualify for Canadian Experience Class through Express Entry you must, in the last 36 months, have completed at least 12 months of Canadian work experience upon applying.

Under the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC), skilled work experience means:

  • Managerial jobs (NOC skill level 0)
  • Professional jobs (NOC skill type A)
  • Technical jobs and skilled trades (NOC skill type B)

Your experience must be 12 months of full-time work:

  • Full Time 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
  • Part Time 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 full time (1,560 hours)



The Canadian Experience Class does not require you to have a post secondary education. However, if you hope to apply for Permanent Residence through the Canadian Experience Class, you still want to obtain points under the education category through the Express Entry process.

This is because education is highly valued in the Express Entry process, an applicant could receive up to 150 points depending on their education. If you want to earn points under Express Entry you need

  • a Canadian post-secondary certificate/diploma


  •  A completed foreign education with a Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report from any agency approved by the CIC.

Language ability

To be eligible for Permanent Residence Visa under Canadian Experience Class, you must meet the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) minimum

  • CLB 7 for NOC 0 or A jobs
  • CLB 5 for NOC B jobs

All Express Entry applicants must take the IELTS exam, it is required that each applicant submits their IELTS results.  These results show your ability in reading, writing, speaking, and listening. Applicants who are proficient in French receive additional points.


What’s next?

Our team at Canada By Choice Immigration has helped over a thousand people immigrate into Canada through Express Entry. We provide our clients with their own personal Case Manager, supplying you with some of the most elite immigration minds with competitive services, developing your profile for the best possible chance at success. Our services include locating job opportunities for our clients as well as prepare them for the IELTS exam through a 30-day program.

Let us help you navigate through the immigration process, take our free assessment at canadabychoice.com/free-assessment